Monday, March 1, 2010

Continuing the Awareness

So National Eating Disorder Awareness week is over, but we should NOT use that as an excuse to stop raising awareness. Eating disorders are effecting more and more beautiful souls each and every day. Draining the life out of a special treasure designed by God with a purpose only he or she can accomplish. Now, what I've learned from experience is that when raising awareness, we must be careful NOT to glamorize them or to share tips on how to be a good anorexic or bulimic. It's so easy to do this. Before I started "real" recovery, in the stages where I would try to get better and then the next day fall right back into it, I read books. Don't read books people. Pretty much every book I read only hindered me walking forward in recovery. Now, there was definitely some points in some books that helped along the way and some quotes I still think about to this day. But, they have a danger of only making your ED worse. I found myself comparing myself to the girls in the books and see who lost more weight. Who exercised more and who ate less calories. It becomes a competition, and a dangerous one in that.

Real recovery. Real courage. Real strength. And real healing, come only from self-discovery and God-discovery. I can guarantee you that anyone suffering from an ED is not found wholly in Christ. Not to say they can't be a Christian. But, God can't be their number one. Believe me, I know. I'm as guilty as anyone. Jesus said you can't serve two masters. So who is your god? It's about finding God and then allowing yourself to melt into the very being of His very nature.

It's about time we continue to fight. We continue to lean into Jesus Christ, who is powerful above all. Continue in the strength He's given and the grace He is raining down upon us. It's about time we speak out and reveal the demon hiding in all the beautiful souls.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaitlyn, I just created a blog today for the first time and then just hit next blog and yours popped up. I want you to know that the way God is using you is absolutely amazing. I love how you have scripture on your page to show that God is the one who has changed you and can change them too. I am so proud of you as a sister in Christ. And you have definitely helped me to realize that this is what it's about...helping others. I love the music you have on your playlist...Every one of those songs have helped me in some way from time to time. I am sure your familiar with Barlowgirl, but if not I know a song they have called Mirror Mirror would relate to you and your followers. Check them out on youtube. Have a great day!! <3

    ReplyDelete